Tuesday 30 April 2013

SOYINKA WARNS AGAINST MANIPULATION OF JUDICIARY


Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka yesterday said he was alarmed that the judiciary is being debased and manipulated in the country.
Soyinka, who spoke to journalists in Port Harcourt on the heels of the court verdict that sacked Ake-led PDP in Rivers State, said the judiciary should recognize the fact that there are some dark areas to be addressed.
“It appears to me that the judiciary is being manipulated.  That is the impression which I had and that is an alarm which should be sounded in every corner of the nation,” he said.
Soyinka also lashed out at pettiness in governance at any level, saying that it is not appropriate for any government in a democratic situation to pay attention to small and unimportant issues rather than the serious matters.
“Witch-hunting is a very heavy word. Let me just say this generally that I hate evidence of pettiness in governance.  I think pettiness at any level is unbecoming of any democratic situation. That is all I want to say about that. I see that I cannot escape all what is going on,” he said.
SOURCE:DAILYTRUST

No comments:

Post a Comment