Monday 29 April 2013

JAYWON: I HATE FAKERS WITH PASSION


 The Dude had a chatout with sunnewsonline and it was all a good time out. And I never new Jaywon is from Koji  State. awesome guy. Enjoy
Did you foresee the success of your latest song; Odun Yi (This Year) and what motivated that song?
I did not. I was just in the studio to do a song for my fans and we decided to start the New Year with a prayer song. The idea was to touch the lives of people positively. But before we knew it the response was overwhelming. The song is more or less an anthem even outside the shores of Nigeria. People call me from America, UK and other parts of the world to commend the effort.

We understand that you have embarked on a project in your hometown. What is it all about?
We are still working on that. I am talking to a Senator who I know is very close to the youths. He is Senator Smart Adeyemi. He’s been supportive and loves the youths of Kogi State. So, we just want to see what we can put together to actually connect more to the youths in the State.

Are you trying to soften the grounds for yourself in case you want to go into politics in the future?
It is more of a family thing. Everyone from Okoyegba West Local Government Area of Kogi State will tell you about Senator Smart Adeyemi. He is a grassroots person who has consistently demonstrated his support for the youths; we are just trying to see how we can contribute our own quota.

Did you see yourself going this far in music?
I started music because I love and have a passion for it and I suffered to get to where I am today. It was a rough journey because I no be omo baba olowo (son of a rich man). I am just a young boy trying to make a living. Truth is I paid my dues to get to where I am today. Probably, the others who started with me and are nowhere today saw music as an avenue to make money alone but music is a lifestyle you live because you love it.


What is your unique selling point?
My voice. When I started, they said I sounded like 9ice but today they say I have a crying voice.

People say you are arrogant, how would you describe yourself?
They say I am arrogant because they don’t know me so, I won’t blame them and I won’t use it against them either because they don’t know me. I am a cool headed boy. That’s why I don’t have many of them as friends because a lot of them are fake. I just love to be myself because some day, it’s all going to be you and you alone and then you won’t be able to play fake.

You sound as if there are people in the industry who don’t like your face?
A whole lot of them and it’s because they are fake, and I hate fake people; I hate them with a passion. That’s why Tuface Idibia will always be a mentor to me till I die. King Sunny Ade is also my mentor and father to all of us. As famous as he is, Baba will call you and pray for you, even when he doesn’t know you, he will show you love. People like Femi Anikulapo-Kuti will show you love and support you. But some people are not even anywhere yet and they feel they are on top of the game and all that. Things are not done that way. We really give thanks to God and appreciate our fans for believing in the Jaywon brand.

What are you working on now?
We are working on an album entitled, Product of an Environment. You guys should just watch out for the album; Product of an Environment is my life story.

If you were not doing music, what would you have been doing?
I would be into entertainment, probably acting or doing anything that’s entertainment related.

What was your growing up like?
My growing up was great because I had the best mum in the world. And you know what it is like when you have the best mummy in the world; you won’t have any problems. Even if there are problems, your mum will cover up and it will look like there is no problem and she’ll make sure you are happy. For me, it was great. I lost my dad years ago. Ever since then, my mum has been doing everything for us.

What was it like losing your dad?
When you have the kind of mum I have, you won’t feel any loss because my mum made sure that she filled the vacuum.

As a kid, what were the pranks you played?
I played a whole lot of pranks. I used to disturb my mummy a lot. I got into fights a lot. Sometimes, I went far away from home to play till dusk and on the way back I would miss my way home. My mum would enlist policemen to help find me. I had friends then that always wanted me to sing for them whenever we were together.

How has music impacted your life?
Music has enabled me to be able to support my family greatly and brought me fame. I have been able to make my mother proud as well.

What are the challenges you are facing as a musician?
I don’t see any challenges because I have learnt that for you to get to the top you need to pay your dues. So, I don’t see the hurdles I have faced as challenges; they are things I had to go through to build my brand.

What’s the craziest thing a fan has ever done to you?
In Dublin, Ireland, a fan asked me to autograph her boobs and she was crying that I must do it. I had to do it because she wanted it really bad.

Talking of love, what does it mean to you?
Love means a whole lot to me. It means sacrifice, respect and a lot that I can’t actually define now.

Do you have any one you respect so much, someone you can sacrifice for and do a whole lot of things for?
Of course I do, I am in a serious relationship.

Can you tell us about her?
She is beautiful, cool, sexy, and lovely and she is my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment