Monday 28 January 2013

South Africa goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune -- I'm unhappy with our performance against Morocco

 Itumeleng Khune


South Africa goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune has voiced his displeasure with his own performance during the 2-2 Africa Cup of Nations draw with Morocco on Sunday.

The 25-year-old made a number of saves as the hosts progressed to the knock-out rounds of the tournament, but the absence of a clean sheet left him dissatisfied.


“Honestly speaking I don’t think that was my best performance," said Khune.

"There were a couple of mistakes that I made, which cost the team. There were those crucial saves that I made which also saved the team as well, but overall I don’t think I did justice to myself.
“I didn't keep the clean sheet as I had wished and I think there is still a lot of work to be done.  If you look into the first goal that Morocco scored you would realise that it wasn't supposed to be a goal.
“At the end of the day we did well, once again it was a team effort and I am hoping that going forward I will improve on my mistakes."
Khune also said that the fans played a crucial role in lifting team morale and voiced his belief that their collective spirit could see them go far in the tournament.
“It was crazy out there; I think playing in Durban has been amazing. The support that you get from the fans just makes you humble and inspires you to work even harder," he added.

“One thing that I think has brought us this far is character and I hope that my players will carry that through going forward to the next round."

No comments:

Post a Comment