Wednesday 11 November 2015

I Won't Act Nude For Money --- @LydiaEires

 


Fast-rising  actress and entrepreneur, Lydia Eires from Eshan Central in Edo State, is one person to watch out for in the movie industry. the screen diva recently had a  chat with E24-7 MAGAZINE’S where she speaks on her career,challenges of up-comers in the industry amongst other issues. Excerpts…

How did acting start for you?
It’s a long story though. I have always had the dream of studying Theatre Arts in School and as God would have it, I gained admission into Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State where I studied Theatre and Media Art. Though I studied Theatre Art in school, I never wanted to practice at first, but wanted to do business. And because of the numerous stories I used to hear about Directors and Producers wanting to sleep with ladies in exchange for roles, I was skeptical about getting involved in movies. But one fateful day, my friend, Vivian Spears, called me that some movie-makers would like to use my shop where I was selling clothes and fashion accessories for a shoot. When they came, there was this lady that was playing the role but she wasn’t doing it well, so I complained about it and even asked the director if she was auditioned for the role or not. The director then asked me if I could do it because they had done like four takes already. At first, I was cautious, because I didn’t want it to seem like I was trying to take the girl’s job; but the director insisted that I should try it out. I agreed with him and I told him I will show the lady how to perfect the role. I did it and even the lady liked it and even told me to do it. After that, the Director asked me if I had been acting before, so I told him no, though I had done some stage plays before while in school. To my surprise, he gave me a script where I have to act in 22 scenes. That movie was titled ‘Alingo Babes.’ I can remember that while on set, there was a lady that walked up to me and asked me how long I’d been in Nollywood. I told her I was just a starter, so she told me that if I want to have my face on the movie poster, I would have to pay the producer N20,000 for that. I was worried and I asked why I had to pay the producer for that, when I was not even being paid for the job. She said that’s how the industry works, but I refused to pay. However, to my surprise, when the movie and all posters came out, I was on the poster and the lady was missing. Since then, I believe more in God with all I do in the industry. That first job paved the way for many others for me.
IMG-20151102-WA000




How many movies have you acted in so far?
After ‘Alingo Babes,’ I did ‘First Of All’, Hard Life, among others. I also acted alongside Patience Ozokwor (Mama G) in a film titled ‘Grandma’s Birthday.’ I also produced my own movie last year.

Which is the most challenging role you’ve played?
There was this job I did which was Executive produced by Wisdom Macaulay titled ‘Raw Emotion.’ I played the role of a girl who loved her younger sister, but was hated in return; it was such an emotional role.

IMG-20151102-WA001

Which character do you look forward to playing?

There is this script I’m working on presently, and my role in it is quite challenging because I’m acting as two different people; a young lady and an old woman. Besides that, if I find myself playing the role of a lesbian, I will love it.

Do you think you will be able to handle the backlash that may follow such role from your fans?
Yes. As an actor, you must be able to deliver on every script that comes your way. And for every script one is having, you must pray first because movies and music have got their own spirits. It also depends on the script. If the character is meant to educate the society and not to corrupt or encourage any mind to indulge in such acts, I’ll gladly take it. You know lesbianism is strange to African culture, so those indulging in the absurd act have got to stop, or face its nemesis.

                         IMG-20151102-WA002
Have you ever faced sexual harassment?
Yes. While on the set of the first movie I acted in ‘Alingo Babes,’ the director made advances at me; that I must date him. But I begged him, and told him not to scare me back with all these. I also told him that as an upcoming director, such conduct won’t fit well in his profile. So I can say I’ve had my own share too, but all were unsuccessful. I have also learnt that the way we ladies carry ourselves determine the approaches or advancements from men.
Most times, how the female wannabe actresses put themselves to the director determines the outcome. I’m not the type that is desperate for jobs; even if I’m only doing two or three scenes, I’m satisfied, and I always give my best.

Which movie have you enjoyed being on the most?
I think that will be the one in which I played the role of ‘Chimkamso’ because of the comedy in it. I acted as a naughty girl who refused to go to school, but preferred to sell oranges and groundnuts. I played the lead role in it alongside top actors like Mike Ezuruonye, Ruth Kadiri, and Amaechi Munagor, and lot of people were jealous of me as a result of that.
Was that your first lead role in a movie?
Yes, it was my first lead role, and I enjoyed it because I had the chance to express myself very well.
Can you act nude?
That’s a capital NO. I’m an African woman, and that’s totally against our norms as Africans. One day, I will become a wife and mother; and no mother in-law or relative will agree to their son marrying a woman that has once been naked in front of the Camera. In fact, my mom will be the first to disown me if she sees it.
IMG-20151102-WA004

What would you like to change about the movie industry?
I will start with the up-comers in the industry. The way the wannabes are treated has got to change. You find out that no one cares about this people when they come to location. So I’m using this opportunity to beg all producers and directors to make a change about all these because these new faces will one day be the face everyone will be craving for, so they should be treated well.

Which actors would you like to work with?
I will like to work with my number one role model and that’s Mercy Johnson-Okojie. I really like her acting skills; she’s a natural person that blends into every character she plays.

Can you act in a Yoruba movie?
Yes, I will love to do it. In fact, there was this movie I acted in titled ‘Stubborn Babes’ in which I was asked to speak Igbo language. At first, I didn’t get it, but later on, it sank in, and I delivered.

What’s your relationship status?
I’m not married; but I’m in a relationship, so I don’t think I’m searching.

  Can you date or marry an actor?
Hmm…that’s personal.

What’s the craziest thing a fan has ever done to you?
I can recall a fan that watched the film, ‘Pains of Chiamanda’ who confronted me that I am too wicked, because I really was in that movie. It took me a lot of time to convince her that it was just a movie, and I’m not like that in real life.
IMG-20151102-WA005


Parting words to your fans?
Know that I love, appreciate and celebrate you too as you’ve been celebrating me. I promise to make you proud and give the best of me. More importantly, I need your prayers, and I pray that God will bless your endeavors, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment