Saturday 24 January 2015

Nurse who Contacted Ebola While Working In Sierra Leone Discharged From Hospital

 The 39-year-old contracted the disease while volunteering at a Save the Children treatment centre in Kerry Town, Sierra Leone
Pauline Cafferkey the nurse who contracted Ebola while volunteering in Sierra Leone has made a full recovery from the deadly virus and has been discharged from hospital and says she is 'happy to be alive again'. Pauline Cafferkey was fighting for her life for more than three weeks in the Royal Free Hospital in London after testing positive for the deadly virus upon her return to her native town Glasgow.
The 39-year-old health worker had been volunteering in an Ebola treatment centre in Kerry Town when she became exposed to the disease which has claimed more than 8,000 lives.

After undergoing experimental treatment using blood cells from another nurse to have recovered from the virus, Ms Cafferkey was released from hospital today.

She credited staff at the hospital's high level isolation unit for her life, adding that 'lots' of Irn Bru had also 'helped her through'.
'I am just happy to be alive. I still don't feel 100 per cent, I feel quite weak, but I'm looking forward to going home,' the health worker said on her departure.

'I want to say a big thank you to the staff who treated me - they were amazing. They were always very reassuring and I knew I was in the best hands. They saved my life.'

Asked whether there was a point at which she thought she might not make it, she said: ‘There was a point which I remember clearly saying, I don’t remember which doctors were with me, but I do remember saying ‘that’s it, I’ve had enough’.’
S:Dailymailuk

No comments:

Post a Comment