Friday 21 November 2014

Comedian @JuliusAgwu1 Explain He Didn't Chicken Out Of Rivers Governorship Race

                     
Nigeria comedian turned politician Julius Agwu has reacted to insinuations from some quarters that he chickened out of Rivers gubernatorial race.

Clarifying this with ENCOMIUM Weekly, he insisted he shelved his guber ambition in the interest of justice and equity in the state.
According to him, he was advised by his Ikwerre, Rivers kinsmen to give up his ambition in the interest of the Riverine people of the state who have not been in power for over eight years. (The incumbent, Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, like Julius, is from the upland). Read the chat below



Is it true you’ve dropped your guber ambition?

Yes, I have to shelve my governorship ambition after I met with my Ikwerre, Rivers kinsmen who advised me to allow the riverine people of the state to take their turn.  The current governor (Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi) and I are from the same area of Rivers State.  Interestingly, my wife is also from the riverine.  So, I had to consider my in-laws.  I’m a good in-law.

But insiders said you succumbed to pressure from your family, especially your mom and wife, Ibiere?

That’s also true.  My mom, whom I love so much was not happy with the idea.  She has this impression that politics is not for decent people.  She believes it is a ‘dirty game’ only meant for ‘evil men.’  But that’s not really what politics is all about.  Even if it is the case, good people like us have to change this perception. My wife is also not comfortable with my joining politics.  It was all of these and the voices of my kinsmen that made me change my mind.

What is your response to those who insinuated you actually chickened out of the governorship race?

I didn’t chicken out!  Whether they like it or not, politics is all about negotiation.  I, however, don’t owe them any apologies.  I know what I want.  I know what my people want.

So, what is your next political move?

I don’t know yet.  Some of my supporters and leaders are suggesting I go to the state House of Assembly.  I’m still contemplating on that.  I just think I should concentrate on my career, at least for now.

The clamour for a new leadership in the country is getting louder.

That’s why we entertainers are coming on board.  Its’ a peculiar situation.  Whether we like it or not, we need a change.  It is not what you leave for a particular profession.  That’s why you have medical doctors, lawyers, engineers, journalists, accountants and all professionals in politics.  So, entertainers should also be taken serious.  And we must keep hope alive.  That was why I declared interest in Rivers governorship election.  My move is a motivation to everybody.  The media has also created the awareness that we are in a participatory democracy where we all can come on board.

So, no regret coming out to contest for Rivers governorship in the first place?

No regret at all.  What I have done has already encouraged a lot of people. It is not about age, sex or social status.  They keep saying we are the leaders of tomorrow.  Which tomorrow?  Politicians who have been saying we are leaders of tomorrow have been in the corridors of power since we were in primary school.  Which tomorrow are they talking about?  It is no longer tomorrow.  I think we should begin to yearn for change now!

What’s your relationship with Governor Amaechi?

I have a cordial relationship with my governor.  And he has my support anytime, any day.

What’s your take on the on-going collection of Permanent Voters Card (PVC)?

We end up electing bad leaders when many of us don’t vote.  That is why we all must come out to collect the PVC.  It is also an opportunity for those who have not registered to do so and collect their voters’ card.  You have the power to vote out anybody who is not delivering the so-called dividends of democracy, which is good governance.  And you can only do this if you have voters card.  That is the only way you can be part of the electoral exercise in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment