Monday 16 September 2013

My home is Fuji House of Commotion, Says Helen Paul

                                                                                 
Popular Comedienne and Jara VJ Helen Paul, aka Tatafo, is proud to tell Nigerians she will be bagging her Ph.D degree in no time. Happy for her, really education matters in all what one does,Okay lets be serious with it. The humor marchant Tatafo in a recent chat she had with Punch talks about her relationship with Nigeria’s First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan,Big Girl Things, her career and her home. Enjoy

You performed recently at an event which had the First Lady in attendance. What was the experience like?
I was contacted to perform at the event and I honoured the invitation. That was not actually the first time I would be performing at an event which the First Lady attended. It was, and, still is, a wonderful experience. I am humbled by God’s favor and grace to be called upon for such events. It is especially gratifying to know that one can be so favoured without having to scheme or lobby. I am just a simple child of God using my talents and I’m happy that people appreciate those talents. Looking back at where I’m coming from, I really thank God. I thank the First Lady herself because from the information I gathered, she personally and specifically requested for me.


Why are comediennes not as vibrant as comedians?
It could be a combination of many factors. For example, our society has pre-assigned roles for as women, from time immemorial. Largely and depending on the customs and norms of the woman’s locality – the society expects the woman to operate from the kitchen, to stay at home and perform her duties as a wife and mother. Even if you’re single, the society has somewhat kept some vocations for the exclusive preserve of men. Even when a vocation is open to participation by women, there are some boundaries, some limits, to which the woman can go. These rules, boundaries, and whatnot, though not usually written, are hallowed by everyone and you would do well to abide by them. For example, as an entertainer, there are some things that a woman will say or do, and she’ll be tagged or labeled in a certain way.
Factors like this may discourage some potential talents. Also, perhaps due to biological factors, some organisers of some shows might prefer a male performer to a female one. They may assume that a man will perform better at such a function, due to factors inherent in, and that separate a man from a woman. These factors could be false, true, or exaggerated. Most importantly, the barriers we place on ourselves are grave and really militating against career development. If you believe that you can, you can. If you also believe that you cannot, then you can’t.

You ventured into bridal business, is it a fall back plan?
It can be termed a “fall back,” “fall upon” or “fall across” plan o, but all I just did is set up a business that I have a passion for. Of course, nobody knows what tomorrow may bring and so it’s good to have one’s fingers in many pies. However, I set up the bridal business because I’ve been privileged to handle numerous weddings. Whenever I anchor these weddings, I usually notice one thing or another that could have been made or done better.

How has business been?
We are growing steadily. Of course, one knows the attendant costs of running most businesses in Nigeria. It’s challenging but definitely rewarding because to start with, I am doing what I enjoy doing.

You bagged a Master’s degree last year, would you work with the certificate?
Why not? Definitely. That’s an ace up my sleeves for now so watch this space! Meanwhile, I would love to finish up with my PhD, which is already in full swing, before I decide which certificate to select from.

Your work requires you to work late nights and travel a lot. How does your husband cope?
All he ever cares about is my safety. Even when I sleep in Nigeria today and have to wake up in some distant city the next day, I just discuss it with my husband and all he seeks to know is the apparatus put in place by the event organisers for my safety and security. Once that is sorted, he is fine with everything. He understands the demands of my job.

Does your husband laugh to your jokes?
He does on many occasions. Sometimes he also tweaks some of my jokes if there’s a need to, so as to create something better. He can be funny himself.

Being a comedienne, does your husband take you seriously when you are at home?
I am a choleric personality at home. Majorly, I have built two personalities in the course of my career – “Helen Paul” and “Tatafo”, the former being the personality that usually anchors events, sings, and presents shows. She is very serious and just gets her work done, like any MC would. “Tatafo” is the cheeky girl character with the unserious and playful attitude. Most people that know me well would attest to the fact that once at home, I operate as “Helen Paul”. If I’m not playing mother hen and looking after everyone in the house, I’ll be having meetings with my staff or chatting with my husband on serious issues. He knows my character at home and so, even though we laugh together, we usually have this focus on whatever we set out to achieve.

How is your home? Is it like Fuji house of commotion?
My husband always tells me that he’s married to me as a person, not the characters I’ve created or the career I practise. He knows and understands me first as a friend, so he usually knows what I can or cannot do. He cherishes his privacy and jokingly tells me that my work has somewhat exposed him to the public as there are some places he goes to and people recognise him. My home is a fun place to be, it is calm, peaceful, but a fun hub.

                                     .

Does your son ever miss mummy?
Yes he does, on a daily basis. Whenever I return from work everyday, he recognises the sound of my car and waits for me at the door. He shouts in excitement and hugs me whenever I walk into the house. He’s also done some tours with me too, so he’s somewhat of a child entertainer, even though my husband argues that he’s a lawyer.

How is it combining work and home duties?
With God’s help and that of helpful people around me, it’s been wonderful. I find help, support, and understanding easily whenever I need it and this has helped in making my burdens very light. In situations that I would have thought would be too difficult for me to handle, people have helped me out.

How about your acting career, are you still working on that?
Yes o! I am working on different projects with some of my uncles and aunties in the industry who have asked me to participate in one way or another in their projects. Some movies are still works in progress while some others have hit the market already. Apart from theatre arts being my course of study, I love acting and I even have personal projects I’m working on.

How did your last album do in the market?
The album is still in the developmental phase, so it’s not in the market yet. I say “developmental” because we are still working on the marketing/distribution aspect of it. We’ve had to slow down on this as my management wants to focus on other areas that they consider as my major areas of strength, apart from music. Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well, so we are not in a rush. For now, we are just taking small but sure strides.

What are you currently working on?
There are many projects o! Movie projects, talk shows, music projects etc. There are several projects in the making but we are taking things one step at a time, so that things will eventually come out well. Meanwhile, there’s a TV content that’s about to hit your screens in a very big way soon, so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment