Friday 11 January 2013

I would have been a Clergy -- BRYMO





Chocolate City Stunning and soronious voice artiste Brymo is surely a blessing to the ears of many music lovers in Nigeria. The Ara crooner  who drops his new album ‘ The Son Os a Karpentar’  a while ago spoke with posses of media men about his life and Music. Enjoy  
 Your debut album , what would you say differs it  from your first one ?
 As have said earlier I have this obsession for R n B especially R.kelly so al my song I would like want to write like R Kelly, so I composed mine  and when the song was out people liked it the people in my area Okoko maiko  I sold like 2000 thousand copies myself, so I started asking my self why didn’t it go places, my not  have an album that will go worldwide the nation , so I started to note that people liked and love the talent and creativity in it but the truth is it was just a collection of sweet songs and for me to actually  make a better impact for the audience to go Wow!  The song must be saying something the audience needs, it must be connected to the audience. So by the time I decided to record my next album I work on more on having  more local contents.
Beyond the Solo you’ve played do you also have other genres in ‘The Son of a Karpenter’?
Yes I have a little of house song, fuji, a little of juju, rock and a lot of Pop actually but most of all everything  is covered in the Pop and Fuji soul feel songs.
You constantly repeating Fuji, do you  really have a Fuji background?
 Not necessarily I only grow up in a home where my parent play a lot of it  and by the time I grow up I started to listen to more of western  music , my parent are not so educated so they don’t play  any music that is not local.
Like any other notable artiste some of them will  tell you  I started like a choir in the church, and if you a Muslim you started  probably from the mosque and vis-a- vis?
I would rather say am lucky,  my mother is a Christian and father a Muslim and you know how Yoruba’s are, when you’re married you inherit his religion too, but lucky I used to go to my grandparent place during the Christmas period so I used to follow them to church, so I pretty much grow up as a Libra and I think I know both religion but basically I started out as a scholar and by the time I was like seventeen I was the second in command  the only person that can talk to me is the Imam that was the only authority. So  when I got that little fame it got to my head  and when  I was eighteen I decided to choose music as my life .
Winning the Headies in October and Channel O in November how do you feel?
That was really good because I only got the nomination of one single so my manage and I we always chat on about what good morning will bring and the rest of the album so I  was expecting multiple awards.
Ice prince and MI you didn’t come with them from Jos and probably you didn’t started with them here in Lagos too, so when you joined Chocolate City didn’t  you think like can I survive here because where there is big oceans there are big fishes?
Yes of course am still overwhelmed like in 2009 that I was looking for a record deal , I  added – he accepted  but never spoke to him, I went everywhere else and I couldn’t, here because I was thinking  MI, Ice Prince, Jasse Jags they’re rappers first of all I didn’t even bother .
Can I say  this I saw Brymo on MTv  I love the tune and  I remembered my wife and I was like who is this guy, I fell in love with the video and sometimes some guys called me and where like he shot the Brymo Video, and that’s why Jasse shot – so that’s why I got the guy Mukulu on face book and when MI called him I think he was happy.
Brymo Continue .. So that’s why in 2010 the first quarter I was waiting for someone to dash me money    when Denrele called me and told me that I needed to call  MI so when I called I spoke with Abuchi, and he said Mi wasn’t around but I needed to come to the house that I should just come to the house, then when I came I met Jasses Jags and the first thing he said to me was ‘ come I have something for you so we went  to the studio and he played me a song and said do you have anything you can do with this so we recorded the song like four hours and in two weeks later  the song actually made Jasse Jags album  Jack of all trade , the song was called L.O.E.U and it was at the launch party that I met Mi properly and Audu and the first thing ask me was do you smoke? Laugh and I was like No, you know in my head I was like if you want to get a recording deal you must not smoke and then everything happened so fast. I was already travelling to London,  like the first time when MI asked me do you have a passport  so he got me one and the first time I will ever travelled to London I was overwhelmed and this is a Big family working together and it ahs been amazing.

Can you share parent impressions on you ?
Yes I think right now I can say they are happy even though they are still worried been the only child I expect that too but I believe they are more more that happy now, its one thing for a child to be stubborn about what he wants to do and its another thing for the child to be really doing that thing, so I  think if am a parent my self I think I will be worried if my child says he/ she wants to do music, they are so much thing to worried about but when you start to do it and still keep your promises of course they become happy. ]
Now girls, how are you coping?
Well am trying, and the thing is female fans are very important to an artiste , if women don’t like your music  just pack your bag and leave. So I actually intend  and hope to getting more females fans.

culled from E247 magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment